Sunday, December 13, 2020

Pandemic Haul


2020 has been so surreal, terrifying and utterly chaotic BUT the gaming life never ends. If there is no game then there is always planning games.

Here's some of the notable ttrpg books I picked up during lockdown. Dead wood only, I downloaded so many PDFs I don't even remember what I have now. 

OSE
I bought the the Rules Tome version of Old School Essentials over the summer and it was a nightmare to actually get. This was back when Trump was trying to sabotage the election by messing with the post office and mail-in ballots. Naturally getting packages was just as disastrous as it sounds. The package went from the east coast to the west, back to the east coast and then finally to my door in LA. Truly a shit show. Thanks Trump voters.

Not sure I'm happy with the physical quality of the book. As you can see the black is already starting to fade, the bookmarks are fraying and it makes a really weird creaking sound whenever I open it. I swear I've only opened the damn thing like 10 times. I'm regretting not getting the leather one, might hold up better than this one is. Other than that OSE is damn good layout wise. The definitive b/x clone. I'll be using it when I run my vanilla fantasy campaign after the pandemic. 


Castle Xyntillan & Echoes From Fomalhault

After reading A Distant Chime's recap of Castle Xyntillan I was hooked. I immediately went out and bought it and then the shitshow happened with the post office lol. After finally getting my sausage fingers on it I fell in love. The book is the fun house dungeon IMO. It's a masterpiece, if you don't have it buy it now. I ran it over discord for my group and everyone TPK'd, twice. So good. Everything Lux writes is gold.


Fever-Dreaming Marlinko

I love the idea of City States, they just feel like old d&d. So I bought this after doing some research on OSR city adventures. Fever-dream is exactly what it's title implies, a fever dream of city flavor goodness. Everything in here is gameable and I especially like the mechanic where the city erupts into chaos based on the PC's actions. Good stuff. 

AND the LotFP stuff. WARNING if LotFP triggers you close this post now. 


Blood Anthology

The Deck Of Weird Things

Big Puppet

Fermentvm

The Octo-Blade

Ugh if only all ttrpg books could as high quality as LotFP, getting there though check out Neverland. Not gonna go into all the new releases but my favorite of them is Big Puppet. The art by Aeron Alfrey is so good. All in all if you like LotFP stuff you won't be disappointed picking these up.

And yes my Steins;Gate playmat is sweet, I know.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, major regrets getting OSE... I even went all in and got the damn Peter Mullen boxed set. Took ages to get here and the worst part was that it was shipping with DHL, which is a nightmare here for additional customs/import costs. Not even that impressed with the system to be honest.

    New LotFP stuff is exquisite though! Fermentvm is just sublime, my favorite of the new titles. Didn't get a bucket though, that made me a tad bit sad haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the buckets were gone in the first 15 minutes lmao.

      I really like OSE, can't go wrong with b/x. Just so far the quality of the rules tome is meh, I swear the cover feels like thicker cardboard lol. I kinda want to see the leatherette one in person to see if its better. How are the books in the box set? Do they feel weird?

      And yes, the new LotFP stuff is fucking sweet. Might do some reviews now that I don't freelance for Raggi.

      Delete