Monday, June 10, 2019

Supernatural Magnetism


I've been watching Jojo part 5 religiously since it came out and I’ve been fascinated with the idea that stand users attract other stand users. If you don't watch/read Jojo, all you need to know is it's weird as shit and stand-users are pretty much just magic-users that only know one spell. I wanted to take that attraction and use it in my games.

Supernatural Magnetism


I’ve been testing it with two methods:

The first is by increasing the random encounter chance when a magic-user is in the party.
Normally I check for random encounters on the road once for the day and once at night with a base 1-in-6 chance of something happening.
However, when a magic-user is in the party the base chance increases to 2-in-6. Multiple M-Us don’t increase it anymore than one would. For dungeons I use the same numbers.

The second is by increasing the chance that a random NPC is a magic-user. 
For example in OSR2 one of the NPCs stole a page from a wizard's spellbook but is not a caster himself. Because my PCs have a magic-user I rolled my trusty d6 and BAM! he's a Magic-User now. A lot LotFP modules have small chances of normal people actually being Magic-Users, in those cases I would up the percentage or just flat out make them M-Us. Obviously not every NPC is gonna be some hidden witch but if it seems like a possibility, roll that die! This might be a bit unfair to the non-spellcasting characters but eh, if they don't want weird shit happening to them they should be a farmer or something, or ditch the M-U.

Conclusion

So far I've been pretty happy with the results. Stuff happens more often and I get to suffocate the players with strange happenings. I might fiddle with the numbers some more but I'll update this post if I do. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

Honestly I think I just want to see a wizard duel in game.

No comments:

Post a Comment