Tuesday, April 2, 2019

O Povo do Buraco #2 [Review]


Last month I wrote about Brazilian LotFP fanzine O Povo Do Buraco #1 and today we'll be looking at Vol #2.

Summary

O Povo Do Buraco #2 is a 48 page zine written by Carlos Silva, Tertoleone, Diego Santos, & Caleb Benjamin. With Illustrations done by Diego Santos, Rafael Balbi, & Diego Bassinello. The zine has four sections, an adventure named "Harvest", a section of torture implements called "Inhuman Instruments of Pain", a magic item section aptly named "Tools of Mayhem and Chaotic Destruction", and finally a toolkit called "Hunters Wanted."

Usability

The zine's layout is the typical two column spread, simple but useful. The adventure presented as "Harvest" takes place in a middle of nowhere village that's fallen on hard times and is beset with crop failures, weird grasshoppers and a demon lurking behind the scenes. Pretty good stuff, each main NPC has a their own original portrait of art, again this one of the main strengths of this zine. The adventure gives a timeline of events to happen and leaves the ending up to you, as it should. I never really liked prewritten endings D&D is too unpredictable for them. Moving on to the next section, a two page spread of art regarding torture implements. No stats are given but everything is shown how it works using the art, which  makes it very easy to use at the table. Just like Vol #1 the magic items are really fun and weird for example: The Grills of Satanic Doom a set of sharpened gold teeth that cause intense bleeding and transmutes blood to gold. Fucking sweet. I'm not a huge fan of the last section which is just a kind of, guild? Merc group? Basically your part of a group called Black Hounds and you get paid to take contracts and get some perks. Its a meh for me. I did enjoy the item list for the Hounds at the back that has a fucking Gunblade?! Anyways Vol #2 of O Povo Do Buraco is a big step up in terms of usability and content compared to Issue 1, definitely check it out.

Entertainment Value

I really enjoyed this Zine it had me laugh out loud a couple times and was just a fun read in general. I really wanted to talk about the art real quick and how the creators use put it to good use. There is A LOT of art for a free zine, good quality art. My favorite pieces are the demon used in the adventure followed by the magic items that each have their own pieces done in a stained glass style. It makes them feel special, something I hope to see in any following issues. That said I was definitely entertained by O Povo do Buraco #2 and I'm looking forward to future issues. Download Vol #2 Here(its Pay What You Want), and make sure you throw the authors some monies for their work, art isn't cheap! 

*Notes* Should I call these reviews? I'm not sure, it's more of a spotlight-talk about something kind of thing. Let me know in the comments if I should rename these "reviews".


No comments:

Post a Comment